By Mashamba Media
Controversial TV presenter Xolani Khumalo said on Friday he was shocked by Moja Love’s decision to fire him as presenter of the channel’s popular show.
Moja Love announced that it had parted ways with the presenter of one of the channel’s leading shows, Sizok’thola. In a brief statement on Friday, the channel’s spokesperson Nonzwakazi Cekete said: “Moja Love TV has terminated its relationship with Mr Xolani Khumalo, presenter of one of the channel’s leading shows, Sizok’thola.
“The channel will not be commenting on any matters relating to Mr Khumalo at this stage and wishes him everything of the best in his future endeavours.”
This means he will face his trial without the former employers’ backing during his murder trial likely to commence next year. Khumalo told City Press that he was shocked by Moja statement and that he also found out on Friday as the channel did not communicate the decision with him.
“I didn’t know about this, I also found out from a journalist [who called me]. Nothing was discussed with me, I am just as shocked.”
Khumalo is currently facing a murder charge after a man died while he was filming the show in Katlehong in July this year. He is accused of torturing the suspected drug dealer to death while they were filming the reality show which exposed drug dealers and corruption in government departments.
Khumalo said the last time he spoke to Moja Love was when they asked him to dissolve his foundation which he also uses to fight drugs like he did with Sizok’thola.
“They wanted me to dissolve the Xolani Khumalo Foundation. I said I don’t have a problem with dissolving it but my problem is that I have employees. I asked them if they will employ those people if I dissolved it an they never responded, until I saw the statement today [that I had been fired].”
Khumalo handed himself over to the police in September after a murder case was opened against him after the death of alleged drug dealer Robert Varrie in July this year. Khumalo appeared at the Palm Ridge Magistrates’ Court on 19 October 2023 and was granted R20 000 bail. He will be back in court on 21 November.
Without going into detail, Khumalo said he was consulting his representatives. He also hinted that there had been discussions about a third season of the popular show which first aired in January this year.