90 learners hospitalised after eating space cookies

By Mashamba Media
news@alexreporter.co.za


Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane is concerned about an incident that took place today, (20 September 2023), where about 90 learners from Pulamadibogo Primary School in Soshanguve were rushed to local medical facilities after experiencing nausea, stomach cramps and some vomiting from allegedly consuming space cookies.

Gauteng Department of Education’s spokesperson, Steve Mabona said ,”According to information at our disposal, approximately 90 learners from Grade R – 7 consumed what looked like muffins, suspected to be laced with dagga (space cookies), which they bought from a street vendor on their way to school.

“Educators witnessed strange behaviour from the learners in class and immediately called emergency services for necessary support.

“All 90 affected learners were attended to by emergency services on school premises. However, they were all subsequently rushed to different medical facilities where their condition will be monitored,” he said.

Mabona said the police visited the school as this “incident caused distress among parents who also came as they were concerned about the safety of their children”.

He said the street vendor was identified and police will conduct their investigation accordingly.

“Indeed, this is concerning for us and we call for patience from parents while investigations are underway and learners are recovering.

“We implore learners to be vigilant of what they purchase and consume, and be cautious of who they purchase food from. We wish all affected learners speedy recovery,” said MEC Chiloane.

 

Leave a Reply

Need Help?