By Jonk wa Mashamba
An Alexandra woman, originally from Zimbabwe, left her stove lit without supervision when she finished cooking. After that, she closed her room and left.
She’d just been in a fight with her man the night before.
A few minutes later, her house caught fire, which also spread to the neighbors’ house, quickly burnt it down and left 13 members of the same house homeless.
The incident occurred at 49-17th Selbourne at 10:00 a.m.
Now the affected family is looking for urgent assistance to rebuild their home.
The Sithole family has children of the following ages: 2,3,5,7,9,10,12,14 and16.
The children lost their stationery as well.
Goodness (33), has four children who all live in one house. She volunteers at the Thusong Youth Center as an Advocacy Program Officer.
During our interview, she told Alex Reporter that she and her sister lost all their valuable items and couldn’t save them.
“I am very hurt. And the roof of the house is severely damaged. I fear that in this weather, if we cannot find materials to rebuild our house, it will be very difficult for us and the children.
“We are a family of 13 members and that has impacted us all.
Basically, everything we owned burned down,” she says.
When the firefighters arrived, neighbors had already assisted in putting out the flames.
Goodness called out to the Good Samaritan for help.
“We need whatever help we can get. Any support would be much appreciated. This is very hard and we are in a difficult situation at the moment.”
To assist, people can contact Goodness on 0712854773/067134625.
Chris Ndlovu, Program Manager at the Thusong Youth Center, added that people who want to donate can also do so via his center or contact him at 0845330096.