By Jonk wa Mashamba
The Gauteng MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi, has expressed his
fury at the alleged sexual assault of a Grade 1 learner at Khensani Primary School in Soshanguve.
Initial reports indicate that the incident occurred on Monday, August 2, during school hours when the girl asked to use a bathroom.
Lesufi said that the girl informed her mother on the evening of Tuesday 3 August 2021 that she had been raped by a general assistant at the school.
“We are disturbed and angered by the allegations of a sexual assault of a Grade 1 at Khensani Primary in Soshanguve. We always strive to make our schools safe havens for our learners and are angry that a young girl has, allegedly, been raped at one of our schools.
“We call on everyone with any information that can help in this matter to contact law enforcement agencies,” Lesufi said.
Lesufi said their Psycho-social Unit had already visited the school and offered support to the family of the learner.
“We can further confirm that the learner received medical attention and is not back at school yet. A case has been opened by the police.
“We condemn any action which places our learners in danger and will continue to call on the police to act swiftly on such matters so that we can continue to ensure that our schools are safe for all learners,” Lesufi said.